Thursday, July 24, 2008

5 Vegas Miami

I smoked this bad boy today while I was rating music on the porch balcony. For those of you in the know, this area is also known as "The Twilight Lounge." It was actually a little before noon, so no sun was blasting me directly in the face as I toked on the long stogie. By the time I finally put it to bed, though, the humidity was telling me it was about time to rate inside the air-conditioned refuge 3 feet away.

I enjoyed the Cinco Vegas Miami with an Initech mug full of eggnog-flavored coffee. [It's actually much milder than it sounds, and complemented the smoke beautifully.] The cigar was fairly long with a modest ring gauge (it only looked thin due to the lengthy of the stick.)

The stogie is, I believe, a Don Pepin collaboration under the 5 Vegas brand. Awesome work. Here are my scores.
  • Appearance - 4 \ This specimen had the worst wrap-job I've ever seen -- man-made wrinkled ridges. Thinnish for the length. Decent blue and gold band redeemed the appearance, though it was still nothing to look at.
  • Burn - 7 \ No real problems here, and it was self correcting when smoked slowly.
  • Draw - 8 \ Just fine.
  • Plummage - 8 \ Voluminous smoke in places, with a very bold aroma.
  • Flavor - 9 \ Tasty from the beginning, which is especially impressive on such a long cigar.
  • Overall - 9.5 \If you smoke it nice and slow like I did (and it's gotten some long humidification) I'd say this one has been one of my favorite smokes. I believe the value on it was decent, if not an extremely good deal.
As you can see, I didn't ding it on appearance anyway. But I sure enjoyed my work with this baby helping me pass the time.


1 comment:

Big Sexy said...

Damn! I rock!

Our split purchase may be our best yet...beats the hell out of the Indian Tabac Chief purchase, huh?

Great smokes...need to get that story and my own review out this weekend...leaning towards reviewing a 601.