Monday, October 26, 2009

Padilla 1968 Edicion Limitada 2009 Oscuro Salomon (7.2" x 57)


Padilla 1968 Edicion Limitada 2009 Oscuro Salomon (7.2" x 57)

That's a big name...but it's a big smoke...guess it fits!


Here it is, along with my trusty tools and beverage.



Heres' the band-I like it.

Here is what Cigar Bid has to say about this stogie:

Introducing, Padilla Series ’68, a cigar built to honor the world renown work of Ernesto Padilla’s father. Rolled in Honduras - making it the only Padilla handmade from Honduras - the 1968 is chock full of Cuban-seed long-fillers from the Jalapa and Condega valleys of Nicaragua. Topped off with a toothy, reddish-hued Corojo wrapper grown in the black, fertile soils of Nicaragua, each cigar presents a rich, earthy, medium to full-bodied bouquet with spicy sweet undertones.

The Limitado Oscuro Salomon takes this blend to bold new heights, thanks to a beautiful, triple-fermented oscuro wrapper that oozes with rich ’n flavorful goodness.

---

I picked these up on a "JoeCigar.com" deal and split the cost with my brother...now I'm wishing I would have bought more!

They are sweet and tart on the prelight-very impressive band and appearance. The Wrapper is rough and leathery, but I like it. Overall it looks like a real beast of a smoke and made my mouth water when I first got ahold of it, especially after I got that first prelight whiff-tart and spicey!

I've sampled most of the Padilla smokes in the last year, (the 68, the 48, the 32, the Miami, and the Habano), and this resembles none of them in flavor (even though it has 68 on the band). I believe that this is a new blend, borrowing the 68's name (though I'm not upset about this as the 68, while a very good smoke, is not my favorite in the Padilla line).

I like the form factor...allows me to have a "billy club" of a cigar without the jawbreaker effect. This form factor is getting more popular but I've kind of had luke warm feelings about it-the sticks are big and require a solid time committment to smoke them. Additionally, on one or two salomans (from other lines/manufacturers) I've had major burn problems-which is a big turn off for me. This Limitada, however, was a real treat and I'd like to get ahold of another five pack to share with other smokers-expecially those who like the thick ring gauges (you know who you are!).

The aroma was great throughout this smoke. Upon lighting, I picked up a cedary/maduro flavor, with a burst of salt here and there. On the second third, I detected several citrisy notes. During the final third, the body kicks in a bit and the flavor transitions, adding some charcoal and mildly sweet maduro type flavors. Throughout the smoke, the aroma was mesmerizing-difficult to describe but omnipresent and very enjoyable.

I got this smoke for around $4 apiece on a deal...see them on Cigarbid for about $8 a piece. I'm guessing $12 or $15 at a cigar store. Did have some burn issues in the first third but they were managable and, though I feared they would persist/worsen, they did not and the cigar overall was fantastic. I think I would have been okay with this cigar for $10 but for $4 it is a complete steal.



The review on this is a "3", tentatively. The 2nd one I have will clinch it-will be sure to enjoy it indoors so as to maximize the chances for the stick to shine. At that point, it could easily move to a "4" on my four-point scale. Regardless, I'm keeping my eyes open for more.




3 comments:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Hey, I missed this post when we were in Spain. Very cool. I had one of these same stogies while we had our first firepit fire in our back yard last weekend. I enjoyed mine and rated it similarly if I recall... Eventually I might even post it!

But I remember what I was most struck by was the occasional bursts of rich, faceted flavor. A real treat. Ditto what you said on salomon form factor.

Bruce said...

I have had a few of these myself and have enjoyed them very much. I really like the roasty notes and the coffee profile. The earthy qualities build in the body of the cigar along with some nice spice. I really enjoyed mine today with a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. The two were made for each other.

Big Sexy said...

Bruce:
Glad to hear from you and that you like them too! I also enjoy the Samuel Smith will try to have one of the two remaining Salomans with a stout.