Sunday, September 19, 2010

Graycliff Double Expresso (4.5" x 54)



First, here's the setup: My buddy Jeff mailed me this sparkplug of a cigar a few weeks ago and asked me to review it. I put it in the humidor and let it stabilize and now it is ready to roll!



It is notable for several reasons: It is made in the Bahamas (not well known for cigar making) and has a Costa Rican wrapper and binder. The filler is a mix.  Additionally, this cigar retails at $13, according to my preliminary research (Thanks Jeff!). As such, it sets expectations high, especially when you take into account its small size. The dual-bands give it a classy look and the pre-light aroma is aromatic-smelled sweet and reminded me of some kind of fancy coffee or pastry. The form-factor is really good-I wish there were more stogies like this (maybe I need to check out the Nub!).





I really enjoyed this cigar. The flavors were a strong bitter coffee (hence the "Double Express" part of the name). I also got some underlying nuttiness that was very enjoyable. As I progressed through about an hour of smoking this guy, I realized that I really wanted a cup of coffee to go with it (though, with this cigar, I'm not sure how that would work!). The cigar has a lot of draw and produces good plumage. The flavor is full initially but drops to mild-medium by the end. The body is mild or mild-medium.

As I burned through this guy I noticed that the flavors lessened a little-very different from how many other cigars progress. I would rate this cigar a "3" on my 4 point scale-a pretty darn good cigar. I think I would enjoy these the most at the end of the night of smoking stogies or perhaps in the later morning. The price tag is probably a big deal-killer for me, however-as there is a lot of potent competition in this price range. Thanks much Jeff!





Here's a special bonus pic of my sweet daughter!

1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Interesting. I might have to try one just to experience that flavor profile, plus the Bahamas connection is a surprise.