Monday, November 10, 2008

Old Henry lancero

My bro, who traded me this Old Henry lancero stogie, told me it was a house brand for Holt's Cigar Company, made by Don Pepin Garcia. I'd had one before that wasn't a lancero, and maybe hadn't been much aged, and didn't remember liking it as much as this one.
  • Appearance - 8.5 \ Cool label, but the nipple tie-off and the lancero format put me off at first.
  • Burn - 10 \ Great hour-long smoke -- no problems whatsoever. Wonderfully worry-free. I attribute that to the design, maybe the aging, and to the lancero form factor.
  • Draw - 9 \ Great. No worries.
  • Plummage - 8 \ Fully good for the lancero shape.
  • Flavor - 8 \ Great stuff. Not awesome, but really solid and likable.
  • Overall - 9 \ Just dug this smoke, which was easy to enjoy while I studied on the porch.
Here's to the occasional smoke break, even as cities bar you from enjoying them at pubs and the winter months approach.

2 comments:

Big Sexy said...

Man, I like your photo of the band. How did you do that-"Macro" setting on your camera or did you scan it?

I'm glad you liked it. I think that a little age really helps these and I too enjoy them-got them for my birthday from Michelle. That size was (supposedly) a special limited release.

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

I did the macro setting. It was hard to get enough light without getting a glare, and while shooting it handheld... It really would have been better with a tripod. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna go to THAT much work!