Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic Robusto 1979

Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic Robusto 1979

I thought it might be fun to freeze my butt off today...and, at the same time, to revisit a cigar I had reviewed in the past. I grabbed a this "Pepin Black" in the robusto size (5 x 50), my trusty wool poncho (it's reversible too!) and headed for the outside.

Here's the label...








Here's the stogie...





I'll keep this brief...typing is tough because I still can't feel my damn fingers. The stogie was very, very good. It had been aging for a year and I think the "pepper blast" that usually hits me on the first few puffs had diminished. However, I picked up some good mocha flavors, along with some pepper, and overall I think that the aging improved the cigar.

This cigar doesn't change much (and lately I've really enjoyed those that do) but the burn was spot on, it had lots of plummage, and had a really pleasant "twangy" aroma.

The construction on this was pretty good too-again, I think that aging helped. These cigars DO NOT LIKE the cold and I've had some weird experiences with them when I smoke them outside in the winter. This one held up until the last inch or so, when the wrapper started peeling off.

I bought this for around $4 and it was a good deal (8.8 on my quickie review scale).





Here's a guest. She came outside to sit with me while I froze my butt off. Now THAT'S a loyal wife!

...ANd hear I am smoking in my gloves!


Happy Holidays!

1 comment: