Monday, December 29, 2008

Oliva V (natural) Lancero

Oliva V (natural) Lancero
"Snap into a slim jim!"

I've had WAY too many great cigars this holiday...so far, it's been one superb smoke after another. This one is the latest and I figured I'd drop a review down.

There she is, below-in all her glory. Granted, I tend to like my stogies thick...but I've been reading that the "cigar pros" think that the lancero format is the best one to truly appreciate a stogie...something about the "fact" that there is a higher wrapper to filler ratio so the nuances of the wrapper really come to the fore.


And here is a close up of the band.



This is a really great stogie, amigos. Get one. You will not regret it. I think I paid $6 for it at a shop.

The stogie had a rich brown coloration, not quite maduro, but very smooth and attractive. I don't normally get all gushy about the appearance but this stogie was elegant and smooth. It started out with a bit of tartness and black pepper and then gradually added some mocha and buttery creaminess. It changed several times and at the end it got fairly potent-but still in the "Medium" range on flavor and on strength. I paired this dude with a medium McDonald's coffee and both of them were gone in about an hour and fifteen minutes.

I had tried one other Oliva V Natural (in KC with Rico and Ry) and it was also outstanding but this one was...better. The flavors were "sharper"-possibly due to the thin form factor.

Was I embarrassed to smoke this girly thing? Sure.
Will I smoke another? As soon as I make room in my humidors, I'm buying a box of these dudes!

The plummage was great, the construction flawless, and the flavor was outstanding. I'd rate this as a 9.6 or maybe higher when you figure that this bad boy is (relatively) affordable.


Here I am enjoying this lancero...finishing it off in fact!

Ry and I don't always see eye to eye but this is one thing that brings the Family together! He likes'em too. Oliva is making some great smokes...I've enjoyed the V, the G (maduro), the O (maduro), and the Master Blends III, and all (especially the V and MMIII) are outstanding!

Here is a photo of the Fam (minus Ry and I), at the Garden City zoo. Anne-Marie wanted to see the new baby giraffe there and we headed West on Sunday afternoon.


1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Dude! My limited experience with lanceros has also been that they were surprisingly tasty and easy on the burn, etc... Hard to get past the look and feel, but the flavor and ease can definitely make up for it. I'd say those are good to have in your collection, but I don't think I'd want them to be the majority of what I was collecting. Rock on baby giraffes and keep snapping into those slim jims!