Sunday, July 19, 2009

Coronado "Hammer" (box press 6.5" x 47)

Coronado "Hammer" (box press 6.5" x 47)

Wow. The Coronado (by La Flor Dominicana) is consistantly among my favorite cigars of all time. I think I've reviewed it before (in a different vitola) but it deserves some more attention so here goes.



This particular size is a Holt's exclusive. Here's what they have to say about the line:

Coronado is a boutique line of cigars handmade in the Dominican Republic by Litto Gomez. Orangish Nicaraguan wrappers accompany a fiery blend of aged Dominican binder and filler tobaccos. The flavor is robust and intoxicating. When you first fire up one of these bombshells your palate is immediately flooded with a cornucopia of flavors including dark chocolate, assorted peppers and fresh cinnamon. This cigar remains strong all the way down to the nub, yet retains remarkable balance throughout. Its no wonder the Double Corona was recently ranked #2 on Cigar Aficionado's "Top 25 Cigars of 2006."


I caught a sale and bought the "Hammers" for around $80 for 20 units. Though I prefer this cigar in the normal formats (which are thicker and possess more strength), this box pressed thin-boy was an incredible bargain at $4 a stick.



I enjoyed this cigar with some Costa Rican coffee from the Roasterie-a treat in and of itself. I took a chance on having this cigar this early but I had enjoyed a full breakfest so thought I'd try it. I'm glad I took the chance. It was the perfect beginning of a fun-filled Sunday.


I've smoked through that box (only have a handful left) and they are amazingly consistant-in all ways good. The wrappers have a bit of an orange/brown leather color and smell a little exotic. The first few puffs of this one imparted flavors of paprika or maybe curry or some other food spice. Oddly, this is the only stogie I've had that gives off these kinds of flavors and I really savor them. Later the cigar gave up chocolate notes, as well as flavors of brown sugar and some floral notes that I enjoyed but cannot describe. This stogie never disappoints and often takes me on a roller coast of flavor, all the while kicking up delicious aromas.


I have found that these cigars tend to do a little better at around 70 (I normally keep my stogies at 65 humidity)-they draw better and give up more of their flavors.



This is a solid "4" on my 4 point cigar rating scale: It is outstanding, among the best I've known. It does have a bit of strength that sometimes sneaks up (it is smooth but gets more potent as it goes!) so I don't recommend it for enjoyers of mild cigars. I like it so much that I'm even getting to the point where I like the band (a strange gold and reddish thing with a crowned tiger in the middle).


And here's my faithful companion enjoying her Sunday morning paper and giving me an enigmatic smile!


2 comments:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Starting to get out of my everyday price range, but sounds like a sweet smoke! I enjoyed sharing a few others with you over the next couple of days after you did that review!

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Hey, I think I recognize that boondog on one of those pics!