Saturday, July 4, 2009

Lake Texoma Vacation Smokes

Smokin' in at Lake Texoma!

I took the Family to Lake Texoma to meet up with Mom and Dad at their timeshare there...had a blast. Here are some quick reviews and highlights...for more pictures email me or hit Michelle's blog.





Here I am on the primary deck, enjoying a Illusione Holy Lancero...a Father's Day gift from Michelle. The smoke was great; this particular lancero is a little thicker than most and quite long; allowed me to enjoy the earthy flavors while hanging with Ry and Dad. Dad made some dirty martinis which added even more to the experience. I rate the Holy Lancero a solid 3, creeping into 4 territory-you should try this cigar, even if you are leery of lanceros.



Here's Ry smoking an Oliva V robusto. It's becoming his smoke of choice-in fact, I don't think I've seen him smoke anything else for months. While I prefer the figurado and the lancero in this blend, I can't image that his smoke was anything less than superb.





I enjoyed finishing this book and this smoke one morning...a Don Pepin Garcia White label JJ Lancero while there...another Father's Day present, this was one of the most relaxing and pleasant mornings I've had in a long, long time. Stogie rates a "3" with smoothness and construction being the best parts.



Here I am at one of the resort's pools...enjoing an El Rey del Mundo...it was a solid, earthy, Honduran smoke. It was a perfect cigar for this type of deal-a tasty number but cheap enough that, if I needed to jump in the pool and dunk my kids, I wouldn't regret it. I rate it a solid 2 and a great value. Its construction and consistancy are really impressive (I've sampled a box and never been disappointed).


Another morning I enjoyed starting this book (Dan Abnett rocks!). The stogie was a Perdomo Lot 21...a phenomenal breakfest smoke. I think that this one was the "maduro" version but the maduro was so light (in color and flavor) that it is hard to say. Regardless, it was a thick, buttery smoke that delivered pounds of smoke and satisfaction. I rate it a "2" and, along with the El Rey Del Mundo, I consider it one of the best of the "cheaper" cigars I enjoy. Unless you really are wanting a "power house" stogie, this guy satisfies...and is also a good one to give to non cigar smoking buddies who want to try a stick.



And this is what I enjoyed today, upon my triumphant return: an Oliva V Lancero. This is a fine smoke and a bargain. I really don't think you can go wrong with Oliva in general and the Oliva V is (to me) the best of their line up, especially when you consider the price. I rate it a 3, only because I know that the perfecto version is better, and it is easily a 4.



Oh yeah.


And here is the bonus shot of me leaping from the small waterfall at Sulpher Springs...when I realized how close our resort was to this infamous site, I knew I had to take the Family. I'd like to give a special "shout out" to Sethro Max, who introduced me to this fantastic ice cold swimming hole a few years ago (when he took us early in the morning when it was way too cold to be jumping into ice water!)...and I have to say, it's at least as fun to jump in when the temperature is over 100 outside.

1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Aw, man, that whole montage looks fantastic. Got my mouth watering for stogies and my mind drifting away to thoughts of vacations. Eventually... Every dog has his day, my friend. Remember it!

Looks like a great vacation with solid stogies and great company. Rock on and thanks for the post.