Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Don Pepin Garcia Blue Magnate (7.63" x 49)


Don Pepin Garcia Blue Magnate (7.63" x 49)

It's Don Pepin Garcia week, baby- and I'm living the good life!





Here's a close up of the label...I think it's the 1st or second label to adorn this particular stogie. I like it.

...and here's the cigar along with the tools I'm using to enjoy it...not pictured is the glass of Johnny Walker Red label I drank...good stuff for the good life!



And here I am enjoying this big guy.

Don Pepin Blue is the definitive Don Pepin cigar for me...it's kind of "middle of the road" for the blends he puts out under his own name (the Black is cheaper and spicier and the White is smoother and pricier). I think they run around $8 for one of this size but I bought them in volume and paid closer to $4.

The stogie looks reddish brown and the prelight is spicy and fully. The flavors are cinammon, peppers, with a little bit of sweetness. It doesn't change much in the flavor but the flavor that is there is top of the line. Unlike some other "Big stogies" this one doesn't take long to get serious and the flavor just lasts and lasts.

I shot boom clouds of smoke while enjoying "Crank" and this fine cigar outlasted the movie and my scotch. Sweet. On the downside, it did need some touching up but nothing too annoying.

The stogie is medium-full in flavor and medium in body and never gets bitter.

RTR Rating: 4. This is a great cigar and one of my favorites, up there with the Coronado. I've had a dozen and never been disappointed. Get one.


Earlier in the week I enjoyed this 601 Green Label (Oscuro) in the "Tronco" (5 x 52) format.

Quick review: I really like the 601's but not enough to buy more than a 5 pack here or there. The green label is probably my least favorite (though it gets a lot of good reviews). It's pretty potent.

This cigar has some mocha and pepper and is full bodied and pretty strong flavor too. I caught some black cherry tartness early on (no shit) as well as a lot of kind of chalky cocoa type flavors.

It reminds me at times of the La Joya Nicaragua Antonio but the 601 is not quite as dangerous.

RTR quick review: 3. It's a really good cigar-great construction, flavor, and appearance. The flavor just isn't my fave, keeping it as a really fine cigar but not among the best.


Here's Ry and Thane enjoying the "after party" of A.M.'s birthday...good stuff! Notice he's rocking the Clutch shirt...


...and here is A.M. opening some presents. She raked it in this year!




2 comments:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Looks like it was a great party. And I am wistful regarding your stogies... I had my last one for a few weeks last night at Mulligans over some Scotch. Now I'm missing two wisdom teeth so it'll be several weeks till I take up another stogie. I'll have to read yours and enjoy vicariously!

Big Sexy said...

Dude! Wisdom teeth, huh? How was it? Share the pain!

Now that you can't smoke'em, maybe we can see an old review on the blog!