Wednesday, November 11, 2009

LFD Double Ligero Oscuro Especiales 6 7/8” x 49


Double Ligero Oscuro Especiales 6 7/8” x 49
By La Flor Dominicana

(This review was actually done a few weeks ago-got behind and forgot to post!)

I bought a box of these while in KC at the Litto Gomez event at the Outlaw (for Eric's Bachelor Party!). Here's a photo of the band-notice the dark colored Oscuro wrapper and cute little pig tail cap.

Notice LFD's new band-heavy on the black and dark red (used to have a lot of pink in it with some flowers). I like the new band but prefer the old one. Maybe the new one is supposed to warn people to watch out: some of the LFD stogies pack a punch!

Here's some "sales talk" I found online at a vendor's site:



With a pungent aroma, and very spicy on the palate, this full bodied La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Churchill Especiales is meticulously handcrafted with powerful ligero fillers and with a rich-tasting, Ecuadorian sun grown Oscuro wrapper. Like the regular La Flor Dominicana cigars, this selection is considered to be among some of the finest cigars made in the Dominican Republic.


When I pulled this bad boy out of the box, I immediately had a flash back to Eric's Bachelor Party, where Kent, Eric, Brad, Scott and I all enjoyed some great smokes. Good times!

The stogie is dark and alluring and has a tart prelight aroma. I had some trouble getting it to take the flame but once it was lit, it gave off a pleasant chalky flavor with some pepper and tart cherrys. The aroma was pleasant, as with most La Flor Dominicana's, and is one of the main reasons I keep coming back to them.

The stogie's flavor was consistent (and enjoyable!) the whole ride. By the end, the nicotine hit was noticable-and I remembered that it was a Litto "double ligero"-had forgotten the power on these guys.

Overall, I'd rate this stick a solid 3 on my four point scale. I would avoid it if you prefer mild cigars (it is medium to full flavored and full bodied).




Here I am enjoying the last bit of it.



...And here I am with Anne-Marie in our Halloween costumes. I'm a (software) pirate and Anne-Marie is, of course, Wonder Woman!






3 comments:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Love the software pirate costume and Anne-Marie's of course. (I'd seen hers before, though!) Ahh, great times at the Outlaw event from the bachelor party. Like that smoke we pawned off to Scott. What was that thing again? You need to review one!

Big Sexy said...

That was a Vega Talanga disguised (For Scott's pain and our amusement) as a La Flor Dominicana. If I recall, you performed the "band surgery" and I encouraged Scott to select that particular smoke so we could enjoy his expectations clash with reality!

To review one, I'd have to smoke another...hopefully that won't happen!

Big Sexy said...

Just smoked another one of these. Damn, the six months of additional aging just makes these better. This is a really smooth power house of a stogie-not for everyday smoking but when the time is right...KAPOW!