Sunday, November 15, 2009

Alec Bradley Tempus Quadrum (5.5" x 55)

Alec Bradley Tempus Quadrum (5.5" x 55)

I bought a few 5 packs of these on sale a month or so ago. Though the Alec Bradley Tempus is available everywhere, the "Quadrum" is a Cigars International exclusive.



Here is what CI has to say about the blend:

A 94-rated masterpiece.

Here it is, quite possibly the crowning achievement of Alec Bradley Cigars. Tempus is truly boutique, right down to the tobaccos used. The Habano-seed wrapper hails from a small tobacco field located on the border of Nicaragua and Honduras, capturing the rich, hearty flavors of Honduras. This leaf is dark and leathery, and conceals a complex mixture of Cuban-seed long-fillers grown in both Nicaragua and Honduras. The cigar explodes with rich, but smooth flavors noting toasted wood and nuts. The finish is long and peppery with an enjoyable sweetness.



I like the band. Gaudy but the purple is a nice "break from the pack"-seems like many labels blend together with the same red/gold color scheme.

The Quadrum also differs from other Tempus lines I've seen due to the partial box press, resulting in a flast top and bottom and rounded sides. It makes for a pretty thick stick-this monkey was so thick that my Cuban Crafter guillotine cutter was only able to cut off about 1/8" of an inch-but that was plenty to give me a great draw and get me started.

I paired this cigar with my favorite scotch, Laphroiag and enjoyed it while watching Josh Whedon's Dollhouse. It was chilly but with my hat and pancho, I was living the good life.

The stogie had some really rich chocolate and coffee flavors initially. Partway through, the stick seemed to become more "earthy" with an occasional metallic element-still good but a little odd.

The stick had excellent ash but did require a few touch ups. During the last third, I started noticing the potency of the cigar-seemed very full bodied and full flavored by the time I nubbed it.



I've been enjoying Alec Bradley cigars since shortly after I started smoking a few years ago...and have sought them out frequently, as they were often on sale and were alwasy good smokes for the money. The Tempus seems to be the brands' first "premium" cigar and I'm really impressed with what they've done. I rate the Tempus a 4-I've really enjoyed smoking these bad boys and will be buying more.


Here's a snapshot of our evil cat Blossom...who wastes little time crawling in bed with any sleeping Reid he can find!

3 comments:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Nice. I'm gonna have to try that!

harrier6 said...

The Quadrum I had was okay. It did a little canoeing about halfway in. It had a smooth draw throughout and did not impress otherwise. I'm glad you like them.

Big Sexy said...

Too bad about yours. I've had about five so far and have had good and consistent results with these.

I'm wondering how they compare to the "core" line-sometimes these "house brands/blends" differ a little from the "real deal".