Saturday, January 9, 2010

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero "Chisel" (6"x 54)

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero "Chisel" (6"x 54)

It's been cold, ladies and gentlemen...real damn cold. Every smoke has been a luxury, especially those few that I've been able to enjoy inside, away from the frigid wind that does its best to turn my blood to ice...so when Michelle suggested we go to Garden City to grab some Italian food at Napoli's (at the GC Airport), I grabbed a stogie that I knew would not disappoint: the LFD DL Chisel...

Note: sorry about the photo quality-my cell phone was really struggling with the lighting (or maybe the cold!).

From a cigar vendor's website:

The La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel cigars are very full - bodied cigars meticulously handcrafted with powerful ligero fillers and rich - tasting, Ecuadorian sun - grown wrappers. Like the regular La Flor Dominicana cigars, this selection is considered to be among some of the finest cigars made in the Dominican Republic. This is a highly reputable label that cigar smokers really should experience, especially if you love full, dark tobacco flavor. La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero The Chisel Maduro Cigars 6x54 Box of 10 La Flor Dominicana.



Here's the band-photo doesn't do it justice. Really like this band-new ones are bright red and black.



Highlights: The smoke is really potent, and really rich. The aroma is probably the thing I enjoy the most about it-sweet and spicey and very aromatic. The flavor starts out with lots of charred wood/meat flavors and hot peppers (jalapenio?). Later on I picked up some expresso and cherry notes.

Overall, the smoke is consistant and doesn't vary on the flavor much, but the flavor it does have is full and it definitely keeps my interest. I'm very glad I had it after a full meal because I this stogie packs a nicotine punch!

I started out by using a punch on the top side of the flattened, "chisel" head but decided I really didn't like it-opted after a few minutes to chop it off with my trusty Cuban Crafters cutter. After that, it was all gravy.

RTR quick review: 4 (of 4). This is a fantastic smoke-like almost all of the Litto Gomez/LFD stogies, I recommend it fully-though it may be too potent for mild stogie lovers.

2 comments:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

These are definitely in my top 10 smokes year after year (so far anyway!)... I find the chisel-top-punch an interesting novelty but ultimately not as satisfying.

Big Sexy said...

I think I agree. I've had two chisels now and I'm not sure the form factor adds anything to experience for me. Glad it exists though-cigar diversity enriches the world.