Monday, January 18, 2010

Nestor Miranda Special Selection Rosado (toro, 6" x 60)

Nestor Miranda Special Selection Rosado (toro, 6" x 60)

Here is the Nestor, along with my tools and beverage of choice (coffee).


Eric and I picked up a box of these when they showed up on Cigar Monster. Since its made by Nestor (who created some maduros that Eric and I both have some fond memories of) and blended by Don Pepin Garcia (whose stogies are almost sure to please me), I knew that I had to bite on this deal. Add to that the fact that Eric and Scott both have enjoyed these and mentioned several times how good they were and...I had high expectations for this stick. Since today MLK Day (and I'm off) and it is another warm day (50 degrees and no wind) I grabbed up the Nestor and headed for the back patio!

The box that these guys came in was more of a "chest"-thick and stout. Upon opening, I saw that the cigars were surrounded by tobacco leaf. It's a little weird but a nice touch, I think.

The Nestor 20th Anniversary appears to have a rosado, an oscuro, and a maduro variant-the one I am smoking is the rosado.


Here is a close-up of the band. The copper is a little washed out-it is more vivid in person.


Here is what an online vendor has to say about the smoke:


A bold handmade from Nicaragua.

Nestor Miranda Special Selection is a tasty new handmade named after its creator - that’s Nestor Miranda for those of you not paying attention, maker of Don Lino cigars. Carefully crafted by hand in Nicaragua, the Special Selection is available in two choice varieties: a silky Rosado wrapper or a dark Nicaraguan-grown maduro. The long-filler mixture of Nicaraguan and Costa Rican tobaccos is extensively aged, and promises an eventful medium to full-bodied bouquet of flavor. The smoke is rich and woody, with a delightful coffee component and a unique touch of sweetness on the finish.

Nestor Miranda Special Selection received a healthy 90-point rating, which noted:
"Skillfully rolled with a dark, oily wrapper and a neat cap. The draw, while a bit loose, produces beefy, nutty smoke balanced by some sweetness and earth."


The label is what always attracts my attention to this smoke-I love the copper. Once I get past that, I can't help but marvel at its size-a real "Biggun'". So big, in fact, that not only did my cutter struggle with clipping it but my it also gave my Blazer lighter a real workout getting it lit!

The first few puffs imparted a nutty flavor with a small amount of pepper-reminding me a great deal of a milder version of the Don Pepin Garcia Black label (but with a thicker, more resilient wrapper). As I puffed away for two hours, I did have relight at the 1/2 way point but other than that the burn was great.

The stogie continued to impart similar flavors for the duration of the smoke...never really varying but becoming more powerful in flavor and strength as I approached the last inch or so. Finally, after almost two hours of puffing pleasure it was through-and I was getting a bit light headed! As I puffed my last puff I realized that these things remind me a great deal of the Tatuaje Gran Cojonu-but they're easier to obtain and about half the price!

RTR Review: solid 3. This is a great cigar, especially for those who like their cigars large and in charge.

3 comments:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

I've definitely enjoyed the ones of these I've had, though I must confess that I didn't realize they came in the rosado/oscuro/maduro variants and am not sure which one(s) I've tried previously.

Big Sexy said...

I believe that the "Habano Rosado" wrapper is what we've been having.

The Oscuro is noticeably darker.

I was wrong in my review-I guess there is no "maduro"; there are only the two blends.

Big Sexy said...

Just had a second one-celebrating Easter morning/afternoon outside in the sun...enjoyed my Nestor with a couple of coffees and my family.

I've had four of these now in the last few months and they are quality smokes-medium flavor, medium body. Great for this kind of day!