Saturday, March 6, 2010

La Gloria Cubana (robusto) (unique smoke)

La Gloria Cubana

This was a special smoke...the kind that was both a gift and a rare cigar that I can probably never get another of. This particular L.G.C. was given to me by my bro and was an aged stick-unsure of how old it was but I'm guessing five to ten years. Rico told me he had won it in some kind of cigar raffle and that it was a "very aged stogie" from some dude's collection.

I got a glimmer of a nice day and I jumped on it-grabbed up this robusto, microwaved up some coffee and I was out smoking my Lunch hour away...

Here's the layout-I was ready to go!


This stogie had been through several hands before it got to me...the wrapper had some small nicks and bumps. Overall it looked like it had outlasted whatever elements had stood against it but it hadn't gotten away unscathed.


Here's a close up of the label. I think that the modern versions of this cigar have a similar but more polished label.



The stogie almost ended up in the trash can-I spent about two minutes trying to light it-thought it was fire proof! After I got it lit, it started giving off these strange almost fungal flavors and odors and I was (again!) about to toss it...when I remembered how excited Rico had been the one he had smoked so I stuck it out.

I'm glad I did.

The stogie was all over the map-in a good way. After about four or five puffs, it kicked in an intense and powerful aroma that really satisfied. The flavors alternated between traditional maduro flavors, a leathery flavor, and even some strange vegetal/earthy/fungul  notes that (believe it!) were satisfying.

I give this cigar a solid "4"-it was one of the best cigars I've had and certainly my favorite "aged" cigar. Wish I could get more!



1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Yeah, crazy vegetalness! -- but I'm glad you didn't dump it. Well worth the experience once you get there.

The one I had that was similar was a longer form factor (can't remember now if it was Churchill or what) but I'm glad yours was also a stellar experience.