Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend Cigars

It's been a whirlwind Memorial Day/Michelle's birthday Weekend and I've got some short cigar reviews mixed in with some photos of me and my crew enjoying the holiday!




I started the weekend off with this chunky 5 Vegas "Fifty Five", a thick, partially box pressed chub of a stick. Scott gave it to me and they've apparently been his "go to" stick for some time. The stick was a damn fine stick for the money ($3 pretty much all the time from Cigars International). Though not overly complex, it had tasted of pepper and tobacco and had a perfect burn and lots of plumage. For me, I'd smoke this again and would rate it a "2" on my four point scale. In fact, I smoked a Maxx by Alec Bradley later in the weekend (a cigar that costs at least double of what this 5 Vegas runs) and it was not nearly as good of a stick.




Here's Anne-Marie helping Michelle in the Garden early in the weekend!



Here's our littlest cave explorers in Alabaster Caverns. We had to fill them up with chicken and picnic fixin's before the big underground adventure!


Here's Ry with our surprise guest star, Grandpa!

Here's Grandpa at the top of the hill waving us on!


Here's Michelle and Thane enjoying the main cavern tour.



...And here's Thane and Ry doing some short exploration of one of the smaller caves nearby (this one is called the "Water Cave" I believe).



And here is how I celebrated the adventure's conclusion: a Coronado by La Flor, double corona (7 x 50). The Coronado is one of my favorite cigars and this was no disappointment. It had a perfect wrapper, draw, and plummage and gifted me with about two hours of solid peppery smoke. I tasted some cinnamon, spice (paprika?), and lots of tobacco and pepper and shot boom clouds of smoke in the air. I tried to nub it but all the caving activity and hot sun combined with the potent stick to make me light headed-I wussed out and let it go with about an inch and a half left.
This stick is a 4-is truly one of my favorites and was a great capstone to a great weekend of adventure!

1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Nice! Love all the pix and the updates. Maybe when I get older I can catch up a little!