Monday, April 19, 2010

601 Black (robusto, 5" x 50)

601 Black


I've been digging on 601's a lot lately...all are made by Don Pepin Garcia for a company named EO. The Black label is the most mild of the bunch (clocking in at "medium" on flavor and potency). and smells of pepper on the prelight. The overall appearance is one of sophistication...and the first one or two I lit up I was very skeptical that I would like this stogie...the light wrappers do not usually appeal to me and the Black label gets the least amount of accolades of the bunch. After the first one I tried, though, I realized that this stogie is a great stick-especially in the morning or over Lunch. When I decided to read my "Preacher" graphic novel over Lunch the other day, I reached for this stick over all the others in my collection. The fact that it is my last one (and that I still selected it) strongly indicates my preference for this stogie-and I'm already trying to figure out how to get a few more. 

Here's what an online vendor has to say about it:

The 601 'Black' cigar series are medium to full-bodied premium cigars blended by Don Pepin Garcia with an exquisite blend of perfectly-aged Nicaraguan long filler tobaccos capped with a beautifully rich and oily Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper leaf. Connecticut wrappers are often used to 'tame' the robust and spicy nature of Nicaraguan tobacco, but Don Pepin has cured this leaf to be richer and more full-bodied in character, giving each cigar even more depth and complexity.




I rate this stogie a solid "3" on my 4 point scale. The price (about $5 a stick I think) works against it, as I can get some pretty decent stogies for that price online. Still, the stick has perfect construction, great plumage, is visually attractive...and has a really nice smooth and buttery pepperiness that may be unique among the stogies I've had. Many Don Pepin Garcia fans dismiss the 601 Black as too tame or boring but I think it is one of his best blends.  Ehhh. More for me!

Here I am getting some sun, enjoying my 601, and reading my Preacher graphic novel (very cool!)

1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Your preacher novel looks cool. I liked my green 601 a lot, but have had mixed experiences with my blue label 601s... Not sure if it's my humidity maintenance or an inconsistent batch or what. Will keep you posted on the overall experience I have with the last of both sets as time goes on. Keep on fightin' the good fight, brutha!