Monday, April 19, 2010

LG Diez "Americano" (5.75" x 46)


The LG is made by Litto Gomez (La Flor Dominicana) and is a Dominican Puro. I have been enjoying these for a year or so, off and on, and when Michelle suggested we go on a "Explore Southwest Kansas" trip this weekend, I grabbed it up. 

The cigar has a cool red/gold/black band but what gets my attention is the wrapper-in good light, it has a deep leathery color with a bit of orange. The color of the wrapper and the prelight aroma reminds me a great deal of the Coronado by La Flor Dominicana (one of my all-time favorite smokes). 


As I smoked this cigar, I couldn't shake the similarities between this and the Coronado. Both are rich in spices and flavor transitions and both have great construction and all the other qualities of a really fine cigar. In fact, until the final third I was pretty certain that they were, in fact, almost the same cigar. Both sticks have really great and interesting flavors (that I can't even really describe, sadly!). The last third, however, the LG amped up the flavor and the potency and that is where the two really go in separate directions. The LG is smoother than the Coronado and a more elegant smoking experience but also a more expensive one (I've seen this stick as high as $15 in cigar shops vs. the Coronado, which often sells for $9 (and is a bigger stick). 

Here is what Litto has to say about his LG puro: 

In 1999, We challenged ourselves to produce a cigar that was made entirely with tobacco grown on our farm. We knew it was a difficult task, because it implied growing our own wrapper. The investment was big and the risk too. But the most difficult part was the waiting. The process of fermentation and aging took more years than we expected. We tested this blend month after month for three years. Just to be disappointed because it was not ready but at the same time happy because we would taste the progress. Finally the waiting is over, today we can celebrate this great achievement. The flavor and complexity of the LG's are everything that we anticipated. We hope you enjoy these great cigars.

I rate this cigar a "4" on my 4 point scale, though the price is a little steep for me. The smooth yet flavorful stick packs some real punch at the end and the aroma is fragrant and aromatic. At several points as were driving around near Jetmore, KS I realized I was paying more attention to the stogie than I was to whatever we were chatting about-it's damn good. Anyone who finds the Coronado too potent or "rough" but likes the flavors should consider the LG for a special treat. 


Here is a bonus pic: We found a small body of water. That's right-WATER, within spitting range of Dodge City.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, now Dodge City has some area lakes.

Pretty cigar.

Big Sexy said...

Ummm...you mean Lake Charles at DCCC? Ha ha!

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Sounds like an awesome stohg! I hope you didn't go skinny-dipping in that lake -- could be hard on the cigar.