Monday, April 5, 2010

J. Fuego Delirium Robusto (5"x50)

J. Fuego Delirium Robusto (5"x50)





This cigar is dark and feels a little dry...but smells of strong tobacco-chock full of that "barnyard" smell that almost always promises a good smoke. On the web I discovered that it has a Brazilian wrapper and Costa Rican binder; the filler is Nicaraguan and Honduran (mixed). 

I decided to try a punch cut on it and, after lighting, was rewarded with dry cocoa type aromas and flavors. As I began smoking, I rapidly began associating the flavor and smell with a dark beer like a Guinness. Though I was enjoying the Pacifico I was drinking, I began making plans to try this cigar again with something dark or perhaps a heavy coffee. 



Here the stogie is in all of its glory. 



This cigar is one of those that starts out with a given flavor (kind of a dry chocolate or cocoa) and then ramps up the intensity as you smoke it. I've had three and all of the provided the same experience...an enjoyable experience up until the last 1/3...at which point it reminds me of that third piece of chocolate cheese cake when you realize you might have overdid it. I presume that's where the name "Delirium" comes in, as in "I'm delirious with the rich chocolate flavors of this thing". 

I think I pad around $4 for it and have been seeing it on sale the last month or so. It has great plumage, aroma, construction, ash, flavor and burn...It's a really good cigar if you like more mocha and chocolate (LOTS MORE CHOCOLATE) and less pepper in your maduros.

On RTR's 4 point scale I rate it a low "3"-it is a really good cigar and I'll be smoking more...but that last 1/3 is just "too rich" for the stogie to ever make it into "4" territory.



Here's a bonus pic: Me and my two littlest ones after Thane won (another) bike-this time at the Easter Egg hunt!

2 comments:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Mmm, I may have to buy one of these off of you if you have extra. I am curious about the flavor. Though I tend to stick in the "pepper" category, it has been awhile since I've revisited the "chocolatey" flavor of my first pack of stogies, by Nestor Plasencia.

Big Sexy said...

I'll hook you up. I think you might like them (I do!) but they are pretty intense towards the end!