Saturday, August 14, 2010

Cubao #7 (Corona, 6" x 42)

Cubao #7 (Corona, 6" x 42)





Like Dokken said so long ago, I'm "Back for the Attack"! Yes, it's been awhile since I've got a blog review going...been smoking, of course, just haven't had the "ummph" to write anything up. After some email encouragement, I figured I'd share my experiences with the Cubao #7 with you, my faithful readers!

The Cubao is a thin little guy with a cute pig tail. I thought they were "short lanceros" (and they still are, to me) but I discovered that the manufacturer calls these "coronas". Eh. They are made by Don Pepin Garcia for EO cigars (makers of other goodies such as 601).





I really like the Cubao line. I have reviewed them before but not in this format. The cigar has a simple brown band, and a dark and mottled wrapper color. It has a nice little pig tail on the top, which I think is kind of cute. The stogie, like other Cubaos I have had, has a rich prelight aroma-good tobacco smell with a little Pepin tartness that makes me want to light it up a.s.a.p. The cigar is composed of Nicaraguan fillers and wrapped in an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. I think I caught a special on Cigarmonster.com and got a five pack for $25.


I lit this bad boy up this last week...and settled down to enjoy it with some coffee and a Dr. Who graphic novel that my sweet wife bought me. The sun was up and right before I lit up I wondered if the furnace heat of August in SW Kansas was going to ruin the experience...another sniff of the Cubao and I lit it up-committed to smoking this guy, damn the costs. Heroic? That's for others to judge.



The Cubao #7's thinness was its most unattractive feature-however, it was mitigated by the fact that the thinner version of the Cubao imparted more flavor than its thicker siblings-noticeably richer and more sophisticated. Additionally these thin cigars tend to burn a little faster and when time is tight, that's a nice feature. I'd call it a potent smoke, perhaps full bodied and full flavor as well-just what the Doctor ordered (heh heh, that's for you Tardis and pun lovers out there).




The plummage was impressive (for a thinner smoke) and the burn was great. The strength of the cigar increases and by the time I nubbed this guy, I was really noticing the flavor and power. This cigar is a "4" on my four point scale-really a great cigar, in any of the sizes.




Here is a bonus pic of one of my sons out picking sand plums out near Protection, Ks. Though he didn't get a lot of plums, he did conquer and explore the surrounding area, especially this monster tree.

1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Definitely heroic! Nice to see a new post out there. Keep up the good reporting.