Saturday, April 9, 2011

Nub Habano 460


 Tonight I smoked the short and fat Nub Habano 460. It was one of the many Michelle won for me from the Outlaw Cigar Store drawing a month or so ago. I paired it with some Evan Williams Single Barrel bourbon, a mellow bourbon which seems to go with most cigars.


 This cigar is an impressive little guy and I like the band. The cigar itself shows little in the way of blemishes but doesn't stand up on its end without a little assistance (some of the filler cigar is sticking out a little). Normally I wouldn't mention it, but a short and fat cigar like this seems like it ought to stand up by itself without any "schmushing."

There's not much to say about this Nub-like most of the nubs I've had (excluding the Cain Nubs which are a different story) it is an uncomplicated smoke that is tasty but  unremarkable. It smells okay. It burns okay. It tastes okay. With that being said, I think that this cigar would be enjoyed (by me) the most as a morning cigar or one that I'm smoking with friends...or one I'm smoking after my taste buds are fried from smoking other cigars. At the risk of sounding overly pompous, (if funds allow), "Life is too short to smoke average cigars."




I rate the Nub Habano a 2 on my 4 point scale. Does it rock the house like a Clutch album? Hells no. Is it an endless loop of your daughter's favorite Disney tracks? No way. It is what it is and I would probably not buy it (even though they sell for less than $5 each by the box.

Which leads me to the often debated topic: Is the Nub a gimmick cigar? I would say it is a striking form factor that tends to deliver one decent tobacco flavor from the first puff to the last. They seem to be smooth and well constructed and reasonably priced. I do not think that they are a gimmick in the respect that they are decent cigars and if you like fat boys, they are a pretty good value. However, they just don't deliver enough in the flavor category to score above a 2.

Now that my Nub is gone...I find myself wanting a cigar...not a really great recommendation.