Monday, September 7, 2009

El Triunfador (lancero, 7.5" x 38)

El Triunfador



It's Labor Day so I thought I'd break out a cigar I really enjoy to celebrate...the El Triunfador!

The El Triunfador is a limited edition Pete Johnson stick (maker of Tatuaje), blended by Don Pepin Garcia. It has Nicaraguan filler and binder and a Connicticut maduro wrapper). It was a limited edition stick and relatively difficult to obtain-retailed around $10 a stick. I bought these when I started my "lancero kick" and smoking it reminds me of why I rank the lancero as one of the best form factors...they can be damn fine cigars with really sharp flavors.

I picked a box of these up at a Pete Johnson event at the Outlaw in Kansas City about a year ago, hanging with my bro, his fiance, and my sweet wife.


At the time, I enjoyed the stick and have had about one of them a month since then...I've found them enjoyable...but now, I think the additional age has really brought them into their own. They remind me a lot of the Cubao, another dark DPG stick...and when these run out, I guess I'll have to pick up some of those to "get my fix".

The stick is dark, thin, and a little rustic looking-but still attractive. The band is an understated tiny brown oval with white text.

The first few puffs give up warm cocoa aromas and flavors...as the stick burns it adds a small amount of pepper and an appealing "nuttiness". The burn is perfect, as is the draw...and the plummage is full and pleasant. At times, I find myself really enjoying the underlying tobacco flavor, usually on the aftertaste.




I'd rate this stogie as a 4-it's a really great stogie, suitable for evening or morning smoking (medium to full on flavor and probably medium on potency). My only (tiny) complaint is that the stick seemed to burn a little faster than I like (about an hour long smoke).


Here's a bonus photo of Dad and Anne-Marie in Old Red, getting back from feeding the sheep!

1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

You and your lanceros! Glad you're digging the spoils of a KC trip. Looking forward to seeing you for the Litto Gomez event at the Outlaw.