Saturday, September 12, 2009

La Flor Dominicana Factory Press II (6.25" x 64)

La Flor Dominicana Factory Press II (6.25" x 64)



This is a special cigar...my brother Eric bought me two of these for my birthday about six months ago...additionally, it's a limited edition cigar by Litto Gomez (who I think creates some really great powerful cigars)...and it's...distinctive. The stogie is oily and dark and has a severe box press. Additionally one of the flat and wide sides seems wider than the other, reminding me of something from geometry class more than a cigar. The overall dark oiliness combined with the shape reminds me of a very high end chocolate bar...yummy! Lastly, this cigar is special to me for it's price-I think Rico paid $15 apiece for these babies (he got me two!). With this price, I'll probably never get any more, even if I could find any more.

A little background on these (courtesy of Rocky's Cigars):

The blend is exquisite and required years of planning and expertise by Litto. The Cuban-seed Corojo filler tobaccos from 1997, were selected from Litto’s private farm in the Dominican Republic. The binder, a dark, Dominican-grown Sumatra leaf, has been aging for 8 years. The wrapper dark and rich looking as any we've ever seen, is hand selected also from Litto’s farm.

I enjoyed this stogie on a short Family jaunt to Horsethief Canyon, a new lake that is being built in our area. I paired it with some Roastarie coffee (Ethiopian Harrar blend)-which complimented the cigar well.

The stick has a nice double-banded variant of the typical La Flor Dominicana band (always tasteful and attractive). The prelight smelled of mild tobacco-nothing special, really. Putting torch to the stick yielded hints of what I'd experience for the next two hours-a smooth chocolatey/cocoa treat with rich aroma.



Initially, I was a little worried because the flavor and strength seemed a little mild for a Litto Gomez stick. Then, I was distracted by the shape-it reminded me of a kazoo in my mouth. Later, as the stick opened up and the flavors and strength intensified, I started to realize I'd have to be careful or the thick bastard was going to cause me a jaw cramp! The overall flavor profile is very similar to the La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero (Maduro) stogies that I've enjoyed and I view the Factory Press as kind of the "Deluxe Model" of the Double Ligeros.

A quarter in the cigar started throwing up some black pepper flavor and the flavors and strength intensified (which it continued to do for the whole cigar). The aroma did the same thing...by the end, my mild disappointment (that the flavor hadn't varied much) was replaced by awe at the smoothness of this stogie and the carefully delivered increase in flavor. This is the only cigar I can remember that produced one basic flavor profile and somehow gradually amped it up from almost mild all the way to full without any bitterness or negative elements...really cool. By the end of this cigar, I was glad I was driving because I'm certaint that standing would have made me light headed.

I'd rate this cigar a "4"-based on its appearance, its great aroma, its endurance, and its great construction. I think it would make a great special event cigar for those that like some strength in their maduros...and I'm saving its twin brother for just such a happy moment!

Thanks Rico!


Here I am finishing this bad boy up!

1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Awesome! Kellie introduced me to to my first La Flor Dominicana as a gift recommended at Diebel's in KC. I was amazed, and have enjoyed almost every other La Flor Dominicana I've smoked since!