Saturday, September 26, 2009

Indian Tabac 10th Anniversary Toro (6.5" x 52)

Indian Tabac 10th Anniversary Toro (6.5" x 52)



It's one of those great Kansas Fall days...last night it was in the 40's and now it's 80...warm and nice. I broke out a cold Harp, my Swiss Army bottle opener/cigar scissors, and grabbed a "single" I bought in KC about a year ago at Fidel's: the Indian Tabac 10th Anniversary Toro.

Here's what online retailers say about it:

The Indian Tabac 10th Anniversary by Rocky Patel celebrates Rocky's decade of excellence in the premium cigar industry. The tobaccos are grown and the cigars are manufactured in Nicaragua by Joseph Fernandez, a rising star in the business. This is the company’s first Nicaraguan Puro using binder and filler tobacco from 3 different regions in Nicaragua: Jalapa, Esteli and the Condega Valley. The Wrapper is a Cuban seed corojo, also grown in Nicaragua. The cigar is flavorful and elegant with a spicy flavor and complexity.

The "Joseph Fernandez" they're referring to is "A.J. Fernandez", the blender who is doing a bunch of stogies pimped by C.I., including Man O' War, La Herencia, and the Sol Cubano barber pole soloman that Ryan really enjoys. Though the cigar is one of Rocky Patel's, I'm more excited about A.J. Fernandez's hand in it, since most of Rocky's creations seem kind of average to me these days.



Here's a close up. Nice double band-certainly projects a lot more class than the regular Indian Tabac. The cigar itself has a nice leather colored wrapper-the prelight smells like sweet tobacco.

This stogie shot out some major plummage, pleasing me for over an hour while Thane and I and one of his buddies played Munchkin Fu, a card game that my buddy Seth introduced me to a year or so ago. Good times! The cigar was sweeter than most and somewhat leathery with a few chocolately notes. Each draw was kind of sweet and very clean but left behind a deep cigar flavor that was pleasing.

I wouldn't call it a complex cigar but what it did, it did well and I found myself happily puffing on it while I used my Hong Kong Bong of my Ancestors and my Ninja Clown Fu to wreak Asian havoc on the young'uns!




...And then disaster struck! The wrapper turned out to be very thin and fragile and cracked and when bad on me. I was worried the whole thing would slip off but, to my surprise, it hung in there and smoked through it...with no negative affect.



I'd rate this cigar a 2-primarly because it wasn't quite potent enough for me (mild to medium strength, medium flavor). I also dinged it a little for the wrapper. I think anyone who smokes Gurkhas or most of the Rocky Patels would really enjoy this, as I think it is a step up in flavor. It's a far cry from the normal Indian Tabacs, which I once enjoyed but have since kind of moved away from. I paid $8 for it and I think you can get them online for $5 apiece, by the box.

1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Ha! I remember our first shared box of stogies -- Indian tabacs I had trouble even using for a yardwork smoke! Glad this one was a step up!