Monday, September 7, 2009

Padilla Lancero (7.8" x 42)



Padilla Lancero (7.8" x 42)




I caught a deal on these stogies (1/2 price) and since I have enjoyed the Padilla 1932 and the 1968, I figured I'd take a chance on these 1948 lanceros (at around $3 each). I'm glad I did.

From Cigars International:

Lush and luxurious. Padilla 1948 combines a vintage blend of Cuban-seed Nicaraguan Corojo and Nicaraguan Criollo long-leaf tobaccos with a thick and buttery Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper to complete another high-end Padilla blend for you to savor. Like all of Ernesto Padilla’s fantastic blends this creation is meticuously hand-rolled using extreme quality control measures and comes layered with flavor. Expect a rush of spicy, woody undertones to awaken then palate, only to be soothed by a smooth bouquet of deep, earthy nuances. A tasty, medium to full-bodied morsel.

When I opened the box, I was very impressed-the lanceros were oily and striking, longer than many lanceros I've enjoyed. Yummy!

The lanceros have a nice even burn (which I've come to expect and appreciate from this form factor) and a rich and spicy flavor-occasionally throwing a strong earthy flavor up. One strange thing is the ash-it's a grey "dirty" color as opposed to the white/gray ash I normally see.

I smoked this one with a Boddington on the back porch of Mom and Dad's house after a full day of digging for salt crystals near Cherokee Oklahoma. See photos below for a taste of it but suffice it to say I was tired and windblown and the beer an stogie hit the spot!

I really enjoy this cigar-good plummage, good flavor, good constructions...but it's missing something that would propel it to greatness. I'd rate it a 3 on my 4 point scale and will probably buy another batch, if I see another good deal on them. I am hoping to age a handful of them in the hopes that a year or two will alow these guys to reach their full potential.


Here's Thane by the sign for the crystal digging area...


And here's Michelle and Anne-Marie digging for the dirty fragile little things...



...and here's what they look like after you clean them up just a little.

No comments: