Sunday, September 27, 2009

Padilla Miami Churchill (7" x 48)

It's a lazy Sunday morning...enjoyed a big breakfast of french toast, eggs, and jalapeno laced hash browns at the Golden Pancake...and Michelle and I decided to enjoy some sun on the patio. For such a relaxing and perfect morning, I knew I needed something special to mate with my Roasterie Columbian coffee so I reached for the first of my new box of Padilla Miami stogies...


The stogie is long and lean and very attractive. The stick seems thinner than the advertised 48 ring gauge, coming closer to a lancero to me, than the advertised Churchill form factor. It looks good and feels good in the hand and before even lighting it I knew I was in for a treat.


This is the "new blend" of this stick, with the newer label. Prior to this incarnation the stogie was blended by Don Pepin Garcia and made quite a stir. They parted ways before I was able to sample that version of the Miami and this stogie is made from Nicaraguan tobacco and is created in Honduras.

The band is tasteful and reminds me of the other Padilla bands, though perhaps a little less ornate. I find this band attractive and classy. Additionally, the band has a number on it, identifying the stogie with a serial-always a sign of quality in my opinion.


Upon first light, the cigar greeted me with a small blast of mild pepper-and not much else. I was mildly concerned that it might continue that way for the duration but after a few puffs, it settled into a flavor profile that lasted for most of smoke. I cannot pick out individual flavors but I can say that the flavors are mildly sweet and I "maple like". Or maybe "raisin like"-kind of a natural sweetness that is pleasant and satifsying. The flavors were paired with an aromatic aroma that was rich and enjoyable. Of the Padillas I've enjoyed, it reminds me most of the 1968, but with a rich sweetness and sophisticated creamy smoothness-damn this is a good cigar.

The burn and contruction were perfect and the plummage was good as well-even with the gusts of wind that swept across our porch from the North. The end of the cigar "firmed up" a bit, with the medium flavors and strength moving closer to the full edge of the spectrum.

As I am writing this review and nursing the tiny nub of the Churchill, I'm struck with the realization of just how good this cigar is. On my 4 point scale, it's a solid "4", truly an oustanding and high quality smoke.

They retail for around $8 a stick (by the box, online) or $12 at a cigar store-and at that price they would be a worthy "special occasion" stogie for me. At the $5 a cigar price I got them at, they are outstanding and I would recommend them to anyone who enjoys fine medium to full cigars.



Here's a photo of my sweet Michelle who decided that a big breakfest and the warm September sun should be best enjoyed by a catnap on the patio!

1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Glad you really liked this one. Interestingly, 2 guys from the KC cigar club had these at the last event I went to, but they were both "nonplused" by theirs. That said, I suspect they had the older Don Pepin version because they were talking about that.

Good to hear yours was to your taste. I'll have to try me one eventually.