Monday, January 19, 2009

Don Pepin Garcia, series JJ Maduro

I enjoyed this bad boy in Greg Bennett, my 2003 Alero, while catching up with my bro on the phone. I had to roll down both windows due the immense amounts of smoke it produced -- and I usually embrace that sort of thing.

The stats:
  • Appearance - 9 \ Classy look and red, gold and cream label.
  • Burn - 8 \ Gave it a minor touch-up a couple times towards the end, nothing major.
  • Draw - 9 \ No problems.
  • Plumage - 10 \ Unbelievable amounts of smoke. That sort of thing really makes me feel like I am smoking a great cigar. A few times halfway through, I thought the smoke might have smelled a little twangier than desired, but the copious amounts of it just overpowered any such concerns.
  • Flavor - 8.5 \ Really enjoyed this cigar. It was potent the whole way through. It started with a heavy coal taste that actually left a heaviness in the back of my throat. Halfway through it seemed to include (more aromatically than in flavor) a bit of a twangy cheese. Weird, I know, but there you have it.
  • Overall - 8.5 \ I quite enjoyed this smoke -- and I'm sure it helped that it was the first one I've had in awhile experienced in a halfway enclosed environment, but I think it was a solid stogie to begin with.

In the grand scheme of things, I might not seek this baby out at the prices it runs for -- but I definitely enjoyed it and wouldn't turn one down.

3 comments:

Big Sexy said...

Man...that shot of you shooting smoke is disturbing...

You weren't kidding, that's a lot of smoke-and very dense. Like clouds of nicotine!

Enjoyed talking to you...will post my review of the same cigar soon, since I was smoking it in DC as you were smoking yours in KC!

That's actually kind of weird. At least we weren't dressed the same. You didn't have a white Italian under shirt on beneath an orange button-down with a swordfish print did you?

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Funny you should mention it... Um wait. Actually, no. Close though. It was a ratty green and brown sweater that looks like thin carpet from the 80s, but made into a sweater. But close.

As to the amounts of smoke, I was torn between posting that pic (which clearly shows the density) and a different one which has my head barely visible through the dispersal of one full exhalation. Was yours nearly as plumage-rich?

Big Sexy said...

It was pretty dense but the ventilation system at the Mexican bar is very good and so nothing "lingered".