Monday, January 12, 2009

Oliva Master Blends III Double Robusto

Oliva Master Blends III Double Robusto

Shoulda been a perfect smoke...warm Sunday afternoon in January, great cigar...nice cold Boddington beer...but I started the smoke riled up and pissed off (why, I don't even remember)...I remember thinking when I lit up "Should I even try to relax and enjoy this cigar? Will this bad boy temper my foul spirits or will my bad mood ruin the stogie"?




Turns out that the stogie conquered...and really improved my mood and day. However, I am certain that I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been upset when I started.

The stogie has a very colorful band-looks like a picture of a tobacco farm with lots of color. You can't tell from looking at it, but it is sort of an "almost box press", squished a little from the top in order to make the stogie "thinner" on the vertical axis and thicker on the horizontal. I really like this type of press-makes the cigar feel heartier.

From the Oliva website, it says that the binder and filler are Nicaraguan and that the wrapper is Conn Broadleaf. It also says that it is super fancy, super sexy, and that only cool guys should smoke it (or at least that's the way I read their marketing).



The prelight aroma on this stick is good-smells like a maduro. Upon lighting, the draw was perfect and the smell was very aromatic. Plumage was solid (though nothing compared to the Alcazar Ry was smoking-he was shooting smoke out faster than Anne-Marie can belt out the words to "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" which is saying something.




There's Ry, enjoying his Alcazar before work.



Here I am, enjoying the Master Blend III while experimenting with a new form of mustache. Yeah...I shaved it this morning!

As for the stogie...this is a really good stogie. Constructions, plummage, aroma, and flavor are all top knotch. The flavor was a rich maduro with some hazelnut nuances. I kept remarking to myself how rich and buttery it was. The "wide press" effect is really nice and I wish more stogies were like this (wider horizontally and thinner vertically). The only complaints I'd offer is that it is pricey ($12 at one store in KC where I saw it) and that the stogie doesn't change much. I found myself kinda hoping for a transition during this cigar and I didn't experience it-what you get it very good but it stays the same throughout the smoke.


RTR Quick Review: 9.3

1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

How could you go wrong with a Boddington and a stogie like that? Glad it at least improved your day. The experience sounds awesome. Although I must marvel at your smoking wherewithal... it's brutally cold and windy here tonight.