Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Double Maduros: DPG JJ White and Padron 1964

This is a Maduro Double Feature! I'm doing short reviews of two great maduro smokes that I enjoyed this weekend!

First, the Don Pepin Garcia JJ (White label) Maduro




I enjoyed this in my favorite Mexican bar here in Dodge. I was chatting with my bro, who was also smoking this sucka.




The JJ was a good looking smoke with an attractive band. The smoke was a lot of "charcoal"...and it became stronger as I smoked my way through it...I didn't get as much cocoa or coffee taste that I often get/got on maduros like this...also didn't seem to have the pepper that I expect from Don Pepin. The burn was good and the smoke was good, though I'm betting that the bar's ventilation system kept me from smoking up the whole damn place.


RTR Quickie summary: Good cigar...Might be priced a little high. I think that I enjoyed the JJ Corojo more and it costs a little less. Construction and aroma were very good.

Quickie rating: 9.0




The next cigar is a long thin sucka that I bought in Denver almost two years ago, at cool cigar place...I was pressured into it by the "too cool" sales guy who implied that I wasn't a real cigar smoker if I'd never had one of these dudes. Somewhat rustic looking, I wondered if I'd been taken when I paid $20 for the Padron Anniversary 1964 maduro...

Well, I did...in the respect that cigars cost too damn much in Denver. But I broke this stogie from the humidor and gave it a test drive because many, many cigar smokers have rated this cigar at the top of their list. It's almost always in some kind of a top 10 list and I've seen it rated #1 in the world at least once...so I figured I'd better test it out and see if it would be "acceptable" for my Bro's upcoming Bachelor Party

I was looking for a stogie that would be "mild" enough that new smokers might enjoy it but still flavorful and strong enough that experienced smokers would appreciate it...and the Padron 1964 Maduro met all of my expeditions.

I read that it is a nicaraguan puro and that all the tobacco comes from the Padron farms-call me a romantic but I like it when the tobacco is actually grown by the family who is producing it. Keep it in the Family, that's what I always say...

It looked a little rustic and wrinkled-not much of an appearance. It smelled of "barnyard"...which has often been a good sign for me in the past on Padron cigars. It had a delicious aroma, flavors of cocoa, coffee, nuts...it had a perfect burn and great plumage, both copius and pleasant smelling. It was smooth, rich, and packed a little punch at the end...

Quick Review: 9.7. This is a great stogie. I had read a "professional" review once that said something like "if you don't like this cigar, you don't like cigars". After I finished it, I ordered a box for the upcoming event.

1 comment:

Eric J. Reid, Open Road Communications said...

Woohoo! Looking forward to sampling one of these 1964 bad boys!